Friday 13 April 2012

Gimme shelter

The importance of a sheltered spot in these windy climes is not one to be sniffed at. I grew up with Coney Beach as my go to spot and it's still serving me well. A lot of people hate the place, and with good reason as it's often a massive closeout, overcrowded and, well, a pretty shitty place. There are occasionally a few nuggets of gold amongst all the donkey shit if you get lucky. Some waves you can even do a few turns (my record stands at 5 turns, something I don't think will be repeated for a while).

My last 2 surfs were both at Coney, with a quick hour in a lumpy, confused Rest until the tide got too high and I picked the wrong gulley to get out in. The first Coney session was a late evening, cross shore, typically crowded closeout-fest. Fun for a while but nothing seriously rad. The next morning the swell had dropped a little and it was pretty glassy, perfect for the log. The difference of a less crowded, sunny day seemed to make it a different spot altogether. It also helps that the log loves a walled up wave. 1 spot, 2 surfs and 2 different experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment